One way businesses are coping with the challenge of optimizing and upgrading enterprise apps is to avoid customizing. For their part, service providers are offering more options for configuring applications for particular requirements and industries. However, in some cases, configuration options are becoming numerous and layered that they present their own challenges.
That is why some organizations hold off on upgrades, weighing the benefits of the new features against fixing broken adoptions. The key is not to customize. While it might be appealing to add few code lines, customizations have a way of multiplying and adding up to trouble, especially during upgrade cycles. When integrating an ERP system to a website, the two words that one is likely to hear are configuration and customization.
Both works in conjunction with one another, but there is a subtle difference between them. Configuration deals with the system components but not the business process requirements. Configuring enables the components to work within a given environment, including currencies, language, time zones and more. On the other hand, customization specifically operates to suit the business needs. This could include anything from adjusting screens and views to changing information that’s displayed for a given group.
Configuring an enterprise resource planning system is of the most critical parts of the process. This means changing the parameters that meet the organization’s language, financial, shipping and customer-facing needs. One could also configure the program to recognize revenue through a certain set of specifications, such as product line or geographical unit. Most configurations survive software upgrades while certain ones do not. Configuration is the normal framework set-up, such as fields, parameters and workflows. The changes are a normal part of any implementation and do not need changes to the source code.
Customization is one of the most controversial topics that surround ERP software. It requires changes to the source code and also a higher level of technical sophistication. Often, business objectives and wants could be met via set-up and configuration than customization. The ERP process could be as large a task as the company requires it to be. Although the ERP package should be configured before it is used, customization is optional. However, it greatly boosts the functionality of the program. Tailored solution may include expanding the functionality with third-party freeware, company-centric task management processes and more. Most organizations begin with the full intention of leveraging off-the-shelf package when they upgrade, replace or implement an extensive application. Nevertheless, as companies get into implementation details, request to make one or more customizations to the program are inevitable.
Every organization is unique and no single solution is going to meet 100 percent of company requirements. Nevertheless, finding the right ERP with the best functional fit would ensure that tailored requirements are minimized. Finding the right program involves defining a clear set of needs and choosing the best solution based on the needs. Often, customizing could be avoided via changing company process or using the workflow features of the package. When customization is required, the modifications must be reviewed and approved by some kind of control body, for instance a change control board.
Before implementing an enterprise resource planning system, an organization should be aware of some issues. Troubled multi-million dollar software deals that create spectacular failures and big spending nightmares, embarrassing and expensive lawsuits over botched implementations and breaches of intellectual property.
1. The $400 million upgrade to the supply chain of Nike and ERP systems created a $100 M loss in sales, a twenty percent stock dip and a collection of class-action lawsuits. This was back in the year 2000 and the terrifying results were because of a bold enterprise resource planning, CRM project and supply chain that aimed to update the programs in to one superstar one.
2. The failed technology implementation failed to help Hershey’s operation during the Halloween season in 1999. Hershey’s ghastly issues with its system supply chain apps prevented it from delivering $100 million Kisses for Halloween and caused a dip in the stock at about eight percent.
3. In the fall of 2004, more than 27,000 students at the University of Massachusetts and Stanford and Indiana University as well were forced to do battle with ERP apps and buggy portals which left them at best unable to find their classes and worst unable to collect their financial aid checks.
4. The epic tale of the centralization of HP of its disparate North American systems onto one SAP frameworks proves that one could never be too pessimistic in terms of an enterprise resource planning venture management. In 2004, HP’s project managers knew all things that could go wrong with their rollout but did not plan for so many of them happening at once. Eventually, the undertaking cost $160 M order backlogs and lost revenue which is more than five times the estimated cost of the venture.
5. The garbage-disposal giant Waste Management is still embroiled in a $100 million legal battle with SAP over an eighteen-month ERP software installation. The garbage –disposal giant filed suit and claimed that SAP executives participated in a fraud sales scheme which resulted to massive failure.
6. All wasn’t well with bedding-maker Select Comfort’s multi-module system implementation, supply chain and other apps. Thus, in 2008, with serious shareholder pressure to tend the $20 million more project that was indicative of very poor management judgment, the company put the undertaking on hold.
7. In January 2006, Oracle boasted that it’s halfway through the Fusion Applications development process. The master plan was to create the next generation of applications that are thoroughly standard. Over three years later, people are still waiting for the first generation of its suite of Fusion Apps.
8. When CIO magazine surveyed 400 information technology leaders regarding their enterprise systems in early 2008, CIOs declared they remained committed to traditional, on-premise systems regardless of aggravating integration and high-cost issues.
9. The details of the popular ‘mooning’ between Hasso Plattner of SAP and Oracle’s Larry Ellison have become an urban legend. IN 1996, Ellison’s sailing crew was reported to ignore Plattner’s wounded sailing yacht that has a broken mast and bloodied crew member. Oracle and SAP have not stopped battling it out both on land and water ever since.
10. Fallout with the massive CityTime payroll system project in New York which was wracked by cost overruns and a criminal investigation to an alleged kickback scheme that involves former employees of systems integrator SAIC and the subcontractor TechnoDyne.
An organization without an ERP or Enterprise Resource Planning system would be running on so many software that do not allow interaction. Furthermore, customization could be difficult in some instances. This naturally could negatively affect the optimized functioning of the business activities.
These changed however with the implementation of the ERP software. Information constantly flows and enables one to follow client processes anytime, regardless which part of the process they are going through. Expenses and purchases are registered in a central database which allows for having close control over these tasks. Determining the best ERP implementation strategy could be tricky. It may sound simple enough, such as defining one what needs, designing, configuring, running some testing, training employees, etc. However, as anyone who has been involved with its implementation before could attest that this is not typically the scenario.
To avoid the same mistakes when defining the best implementation strategy, below are the three main things to consider.
1. Waterfall against agile software development. Typically, most consultants as well as system integrators follow the waterfall approach that entails a more formalized and sequential approach to design, build and test. On the other hand, agile requires a more iterative and less structured method for rolling out new functions. Waterfall typically works for bigger organizations and those wanting to standardize their process. Agile could work for smaller ones or more nimble companies that are not looking for a more standardized operations. It is important to understand the advantages and disadvantages, the tradeoffs and risks of every approach and decided where the implementation would fall.
2. Reengineering business processes or paving the cowpaths. Rushing into the system implementations without a deliberate focus on process reengineering could likely automate already inefficient processes or what is called the paving the cowpaths. Project managers and CIOs who are more keen on transforming and enhancing their business strategies must build the right level of effort and focus in the plans for the project, otherwise their organizations would revert naturally to the cowpaths regardless of how hard they may try. Inexperienced consultants and system integrators tend to underestimate the time and effort needed to focus on business methods that would complicate the problem further.
3. Standardization against autonomy. During the project planning stage, it’s necessary to find out if and where the company would standardize processes across the firm. Most clients embark on implementations that tend to heavily standardize across the organization. Wherever the firm may fall on the spectrum, it is vital to recognize that standardization would need more time up front in the reengineering and the requirements phase of the project. On the other hand, companies leaning towards less standardization would require more resources and time during the designing, testing and training phases.
There are other strategic considerations that should be defined as well before signing contracts and starting the application, like organizational change management and communications, data, integration, language, single system against best of breed and many others. The three considerations above are a good place to begin and must be defined further together with others as part of an effective strategy.
Software development is ever changing and highly dynamic business. There is not certain trend which can continue for year after years. That’s why software Development Company should ready to either higher or skilled their staff according to the current demand in the market. Currently there are certain skills that are growing faster than others.
1 Cyber security:
IT job related to cyber security is currently most trending data handling job in the market. Today with increasing number of data breaches make headlines and consumer anxiety concerning personal information rises to a fever pitch, therefore, there is expectation that demand for skill IT expert for this skill to continue to grow as organizations look for software professionals who can both proactively and reactively attend to security gaps and threats and make sure about the system.
2. Big Data:
Big data is a big deal, whether the organization is working on marketing, pharmaceuticals, healthcare, defense systems, video games or any other category it is important almost everywhere these days. Today companies crave information that can help them gain insight into customer behavior, create a strategies for the future and predict future and plan the strategy in order to achieve more growth opportunities, so IT experts who can extract intelligence from data have a secure, lucrative future and wider scope in the software development industry.
Today mobile apps compare to five years ago `and big data and the cloud gain even greater mainstream acceptance, NoSQL databases are also gaining popularity in the marketplace, Professionals who know when and when not to use these new software development approaches will bring much-needed flexibility, efficiency and agility to their clients.
Hadoop, is the open source Apache framework that facilitates data analysis and interpretation, this software recently becomes very popular all over the world. The demand for Hadoop professionals who also have NoSQL and Big Data are increased drastically in the software development industry.
Project and issue-tracking software JIRA has now days regarded highly in both startups and in big enterprises, especially in the company who has large teams of software developers. In many organization reporting and issue tracking is a big obstacle all organizations face, and the demand for software technology like JIRA who can easily track and solves the problem will continue to see explosive growth in the future time and demand for skill people who can handle this issue tracking software will naturally increase.
It is sound strange because python is one of the oldie but goodie. It’s a one of the mature language which continues to dominate in the software development market even after 25 years. This is a one of the foundation programming language taught in college-level programming courses, Today’s demand for python is reemerge as many IT global companies understand that it is a it’s a simple, elegant and powerful language with which can easily help to build various Web properties.
Nothing surprising here cloud technology is big global boom all over the world. Cloud become popular because businesses love technology and talent which can save money and maximize efficiency, which reflects in the continued growth of cloud tech and the demand for talent with related experience in the cloud technology has increased drastically in the software development. In fact that the assumption is that 78 percent of U.S. small businesses will have fully adopted the cloud by the end of 2020, which is current just 38% so the, job opportunities should soar in this field.
Apart from these there are some other fields like mobile applications, puppet, Information security, Salforce’ CRM are some other tools and technology which become one of the popular IT branches in which new age software engineers should try to build their career.
Today, when choosing a software development company, it could be a really tough job. You would want to check different aspects before you finalize your choice and hand over your project to your service provider. After you do the basic analysis, you would want to check out several reputable software service providers that meet your certain requirements.
So, when it comes to software application development and the services of a software development company, what are the things you should look out for?
Below are some of the factors that you could consider when hiring the services of a software development service provider.
1. Technology expertise – is the most altering factor in the software field. Thus, selecting a suitable technology for a software app is very important. Find out which technologies the company has an expertise with.
2. Quality service – is of vital importance and error-free software creates good market image. Make sure to test your software from the user’s point of view to determine its quality before putting it in the market.
3. Past experience – is a vital factor in looking for software application development. Find out what they firm has done before for other clients to determine its strengths and weaknesses. Moreover, this helps you determine if it could fulfill your requirements or not.
4. Timely delivery –is very important in the field of software development. This is because you have to launch your software before your competitors. It helps you achieve a big share in the market, thus make certain the service provider could complete the task within an estimated time frame.
5. Support – it is the integral part of smooth functioning of a software app. Make sure the service provide offers the right software support system.
When looking for a software development company, there are plenty you can find. That is why, it is necessary to tread carefully before you hire one. Software outsourcing is a common trend today. This process not only saves plenty of effort and time involved in executing and initiating a new project but it also serves as a cost-effective method of project implementation. Do not forget the reputation of the software development firm. The technical capabilities of the serviced provider could be determined to some extent by checking out the portfolios of its previous projects.
Your budget is often the driving factor when choosing a software service provider. It is then essential to ascertain that quality deliverables are implemented by the company for the price paid. Remember, deadlines are critical and could take plenty of focus and dedication to meet or to beat in all kinds of business. An effective software service provider must exhibit consistent quality patterns and delivery in order to address business needs. The factors determine the service provider’s approach to costs and timelines that are associated with your project.
In a nutshell, consider a software development firm that is technically adept, on-time, methodical, cost-effective and with quality services. Moreover, it should provide an extensive array of high-quality in-depth support services throughout the whole software development process, implementation as well as post delivery phases of a project.
Why Software Development Outsourcing To India Is A Better Option In Today’S Tough Business Competition?
Commonly, one of the benefits of software development outsourcing in India includes cost-effectiveness. Savings is what most companies are looking for these days. It is highly important for software service providers and clients to maintain proper communication with each other aside from handling outsourcing legal matters involved in offshore outsourcing.
Software development outsourcing in India is one of the most preferred destinations when it comes to software development. You could find major global giants going for Indian software service providers. So, why should you outsource to India? Because India has an education system that offers unique blend of communication skills and technical knowledge. This makes Indians as the most talented software programmers in the world nowadays. Moreover, Indian firms like TCS, Infosys, HCL Technologies have top quality resources at reasonable rates. When speaking of manpower, there is no doubt that India is one of the most talented in the world. Highly skilled personnel and affordable price acts as the magnet for companies anywhere in the world.
Software development outsourcing in India is highly preferred due also to the favourable policies of Indian government. The Indian government is pulling many of foreign direct investment into the country, making investing in India so much easier. Moreover, the infrastructure in the country is also improving impressively. Positive changes are visible in the area of electricity, telecommunications, building of roads and many more. Therefore, the advantages of Indian outsourcing are immense. One would never regret outsourcing software development to India.
There are also considerable cultural differences when you outsource to India that have to be appreciated. In its culture, there is a huge deal of respect shown to managers and their words are rarely questioned, most certainly not in public. With Indian software development service providers, communication is more formal and people call each other by surnames and they always call their managers ‘SIR’. When deciding to software development outsourcing to India, you have to be careful in your consideration and weigh your options well.
With Indian partners, you have to understand the cultural differences you can expect in order to get the work done and make sure you are clear about whom you have on-site and their legal status. While Indian outsourcing in general is spurred by cost reduction, this is just one of the reasons why many companies outsource to the country. Outsourcing to India offers businesses the freedom to pass their non-core activities to outsourcing firms. As a whole, it is a practice of handling over work to a person or group of persons who could provide cost-effective deals to the business development. India has one of the biggest pools of English-speaking and highly educated professionals. The low wages make it very advantageous indeed to companies from other countries, particularly the Western firms. Indian outsourcing is an old concept but is increasing in popularity among leading firms. Companies now are allocating their in-house operations to various service providers in India.